Saturday, December 30, 2006

Resolutions – Nothing this year

Generally around end of October or beginning of November I begin to do the mental exercise of analysing how I faired during the year, did I achieve the targets that I had set for myself and resetting targets for the coming year. This year is different as I didn’t realize it coming to an end until mid-December, which makes me wonder if I have become mentally numb or is it the awareness in the back of my mind that long term planning is anyway futile. I would like to believe the latter, but the former is also equally true.


This year has been largely uneventful, except for winning a couple of good friends and restoring relationship with couple of old ones thanks to this amazing thing called internet.


And the best part is that I don’t need to make any conventional resolutions like reduce the intake of carbon monoxide, tobacco, alcohol etc. or abstain from other worldly vices (I don’t wish to increase the traffic here by naming them as people googling them will eventually land up here) or even a simple thing like ‘stop being gluttonous and bring yourself back into shape’ (my mother always chides me saying that my appetite is less than my six year old nephew’s). I lead such a life that would take years of penance and meditation for ordinary folks to achieve (the pun is unintended, look around you, where else you will find a 34 years old man who doesn’t smoke, who doesn’t drink and above all who is celibate). I give the credit for this line of thinking to Arun Shourie, who said somewhat same things to describe his spastic son in a TV interview few years back.


So I always ended up making lofty resolutions like ‘write stories’ ‘finish the script you have in mind’ ‘read more’ etc. etc. and at the end heading nowhere.


No resolutions this time around, just a wish that we all have a happy year ahead.


Happy New Year!

11 comments:

Alexis said...

Well written post. Very interesting observations.

Not to have any resolutions is the resolution for 2007 :-)

Wishing you a very happy and prosperous 2007.

Paresh Palicha said...

Alexis Sir, Thanks, I hoped that you like my observations, as we both sail in the same boat :)

harimohan said...

Dear Paresh ,
resolutions are required by people who want to change something they consider that has to be changed ,you seem to be perfect and need no change so just continue and reach greater heights with your pen and mind which you are capable for ,
i pray for you for the year ahead
harimohan

monsoon dreams said...

wish you a healthy year 2007.

Paresh Palicha said...

HM: Your comment is really something, it lifted my spirit & my confidence. Thanks a ton :)

MD: Wish the same for you & your child. :)

ജെയിംസ് ബ്രൈറ്റ് said...

Wonderful post.
I wish you a very happy new year, Paresh!

Paresh Palicha said...

Thanks Doc :)

neermathalam said...

:)

happy new year..

Paresh Palicha said...

neermathalam: Thanks for dropping by :)

monsoon dreams said...

hi paresh,
glad to see ur posts.would love to meet you and your wondeful family someday.keep u in prayers.

Paresh Palicha said...

MD: You're welcome! Just mail me :)