Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Cutting Potatoes

A spontaneous laughter or a chuckle is a rare response when I’m speaking. My supposedly witty remarks or funny observations often fall flat as I’ve to repeat them twice or thrice before they are fully understood and their charm is lost. Only a few people are alert anticipating something funny from me.

Last Sunday one of my favourite teachers and me were praising the former Principal of the Special School that I attended for a few years. The Principal was nothing short of a visionary, she not only instilled confidence in me to look for a life beyond the school, but also found me a job as a proof. And, I’ve survived there for the last ten years, just because of the confidence she showed in me. So, I told my favourite teacher: “if not for her (the Principal) I would be still cutting potatoes there (in the vocational training class of the school)”, which instantly made my teacher laugh and made me happy thinking that once in a while my one-liners do work.

12 comments:

harimohan said...

Dear Paresh ,
I understand your predicament but your life and achievements are permanent reminders to the world at large that individuals with all faculties have no reason to grouch which they ( we ) often do .
every minute of your existence is an example to others .
i admire you
harimohan

Alexis said...

Completely agree with what Harimohan said. You are an inspiration.

Anonymous said...

Paresh,
it shd be a sigh, you handled potatos and not onions!
Short but nice post!
Rk

Anonymous said...

Dear Paresh,

Your sense of wit has never been lost on me....thank GOD! I have been fortunate to enjoy your repartees and one liners...which has added to my positive experiences!! What would life be without laughter????!!!

Coming to potatoes...I like the title...A very valuable insight to all parents and special educators....and anyone else who works in the field of disability.....the need to see beyond the obvious...which is the only way one can nurture and help people grow!!

Take care
SN

Paresh Palicha said...

Thank you all

Sadasiv Swain said...

Very apt one liner. It made me laugh too and somehoe I also felt very happy going through the post.

monsoon dreams said...

hi paresh,
good post.even though your comment on vocational schools is funny,its sad too.i always think that they can teach them better skills than making the same old things(candles,books,paper bags!!).we underestimate their ability to do things like the so called normal people.

Anonymous said...

Dear Paresh,
Having known you, i doubt if you would have ever been left peeling potatoes. but even if you had, we would probably have a been a new way of doing it by now and you would be having the patent! have a good day.love, js

Paresh Palicha said...

SS: Thanks.

JS: Ha... Ha... a patent for peeling potatoes; you're a person with great ideas.

Last week I went to the school & saw few of my batchmates preparing Sambhar for lunch under the guidence of my class teacher. I'd see myself struggling with a knife & potatoes (a dreadful sight indeed)if I was there.

Dilip Muralidaran said...

oh damn, i feel ya mate. me jokes suck too!

Gastro Mallu said...

"If not for your words i would still be battling time by watching the cobwebs (stuck on my ceiling) the rest of the day"

I thank you for saving me from the clutches of boredom that has been infesting my life (for the past 3 days) in this PEACEFUL town of Thalassery.

Martin Morgan said...

you attended a special school??

Dissertation Writing | Course works | writing